I Hired a Contract Killer

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Celebrating the "I have no life so I have watched over 50 films so far this year!!!" milestone that I've reached yesterday, I thought it would be nice to write something about my 51st film: I Hired a Contract Killer, a film that - as sufficiently described in the title - is about a guy who hired a contract killer .... to kill himself. Joy!

This is my second English-language Kaurismaki's films out of the six that I've seen thus far and I learned that I prefer his dialogues to be delivered in his native Finnish language (read: unrecognizable gibberish speech). There just seems to be much more droll and hilariousness packed in the monotone one-note Finnish dialect.

The first 30 minutes or so of this film is excellent, especially because I've thought about and even written a short story about a guy planning on a suicide and yet fails to do so. Heh, surprise, surprise. The rest of this short movie (a mere 75 minutes) unfortunately seems a bit stretched, although not without its sprinkles of golden comedy moments.

The wooden speech and determined expression of the protagonist nicely complement his unexpected romantic flair. All the characters in Kaurismaki's films are so lovable! All in all, I've seen better Kaurismaki's films, although any Kaurismaki's films are truly better than a lot of films out there.


The miserable Henri


Determined to take his own life


Enjoying the great things in life for the first time:
boozy whiskey and smokey cigarettes.


Unto the next Kaurismaki's films!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment