Wisdom Extraction - The purpose of existence

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

They were the two rotten scoundrel ones. One of them has started to emerge from its underground hiding and perform steady attacks to the neighbouring land, and while the other one still remains in its hiding, the clairvoyant has spoken of a future bloodbath, the next Great War, unless I, the god of this kingdom, the architect of the land, be quick in my action and stop these seething rebellious acts before things go awry.

Who am I kidding. I am no god, not even of my own property. I just have to accept whatever God, the intelligent designer of this world, has for me. But does God really exist? If He exists, why does He let suffering in this world? Because, really, what is the purpose of existence of wisdom teeth? They don't add any wisdom to the beholder, and I certainly do not find any use for them in other aspects, be it aesthetically or functionally.

Maybe, the evolution team has it right all along? World is just a coincidence, a big bang followed with an evolution through time using the sheer guidance of survival of the fittest. It sure does explain why the useless wisdom teeth exist in the human body. Why, it's just a leftover from the previous less perfect version of human! Since it's not an intelligent design and rather, an evolution, there bounds to be some imperfect parts here and there. Say, how many teeth does a monkey have? Do they have wisdom teeth at all? Hmm, I may need to contact Stephen Jay Gould and talk to him about getting some funding for a research on this subject.

As I was heavy in my meaningless thoughts, pretending as if my wandering mind would result in the undeniable evidence that will end the never ending debate of evolution vs. intelligent design, the doctor gave a last check to see whether my anesthesia was already in full effect, and asked me the following powerful question, "Are you ready?".

Then, it suddenly hit me, everything makes sense now. The purpose of existence of wisdom teeth. Eureka! I believe that the reason why wisdom teeth exist, and more often than not imperfectly, is so that we can remember God. He created wisdom teeth for the sake of the modern generation, the spoiled generation with not enough real misery and suffering happening in their daily lives. The omniscient God has foreseen this and therefore during the creation of human some few millennium to million years ago created these troublesome wisdom teeth as a device of reminder and wake up call for the wayward son.

Because no matter how much I think in my leisure time about the big grand questions of life: is the world deterministic or coincidence, is it an intelligent design or evolution, is there an afterlife and heaven and hell, in the end, when I saw that clunky pliers getting closer and closer to my mouth and I started hearing that dreaded voice of dental machinery that captures the voice of 1001 horrendous dreams, I immediately called upon God and asked how He's doing and would it be so much of a trouble if He could direct His attention to His long lost child at the moment and make sure that the doctor doesn't mess up this tiny operation and for the anesthesia to work its magic for as long as it can, 5 days preferably.

So, I braced myself and replied, "OK, Doc, let's begin."

And then I ended my prayer just like how they always taught me, "Thank you God and let your will be done ... although surely your will and mine are the same at this moment. Amen."

0 comments:

Post a Comment