On Being Alone in the Ocean of Noise

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Ip Man

So, I watched Ip Man yesterday, alone.

Based on last night's experience of feeling as if I was physically deformed and became the destination of secretive mocking looks - you know, the look that spells out as "Oh, look at this poor anti social unpopular dweeb" - I have managed to formulate reasons why it is not advisable to watch movie alone, ever, again in the vicinity of an area marked in the map as Indonesia:

1) It's just not the common thing here. As simple as that. People do things together, it's the community culture of Asia versus the individuality culture of the Western. Heck, I even spotted 2 teen chicks getting out of the same bathroom stall and from the way they behaved, they didn't feel as if it was weird or ... a bit gay-ish, maybe?

So, lesson to learn:
- Going to the movie alone, WEIRD. Going to the bathroom stall together, The dullest thing that no one in his right mind should even bother to notice.
- Going to the movie alone, PATHETIC. Two guys hugging each other while walking or one guy slapping the other guy's thigh, Why, what's wrong with that?

2) And even if you try to defy from this common culture, you'll still end up fearing that you meet someone you know and have them judge you as oh, I don't know, a poor anti social unpopular dweeb? Granted, I know deep down that I truly am a hermit geek, I still don't want people to remove any shed of their doubts and stamp yours truly with that honorable title.

So, unless you can move boldly to the ticket booth without fear of the staring looks of people you don't know, or God forbids, someone you know! Please, next time, beg your friends to go with you to watch the damn movie.

Although, being who I am, I don't think last night will be my last time watching the movie alone :P

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha, this is one funny post!

But yeah, I think it's just our culture to do things together. Even at school, we do our tests together - if you refuse, you're just uncool. So, same thing with the movie stuff, uncool to watch it alone.

As for me ... dun think I'll ever go to the cinema alone. I always make stupid comments about the scenes, so I need someone I know to sit beside me to make me look less crazy.

Anonymous said...

For point #1: Seriously, two chicks from the same stall? That's too gay-ish alright.

Post a Comment