6 years old

Monday, November 24, 2008

This weekend, my mom and I went to Giant hypermarket for some grocery shopping. Why? Because we are Indonesians and Giant has told us that Giant is the place to shop for Indonesians (Giant: Tempat Berbelanja orang Indonesia).

It didn't hit me until I was there that this was a big mistake. Usually we go to Bonnet, a nice medium sized supermarket nearby our house, filled with all things we need and some things we may want. Hypermarket such as Giant introduces its visitors to a bazillion of things that we never think we need or want. There were more aisles to explore and my mom seemed to determine to get to know each aisles and the products it offered.
Aisle 1: Hello, may I offer you a nice new set of spoons with a reduced price? Or how about this salad bowl that will surely become the talk of the guest?
Mom: You know Me (my nickname), I think we need extra spoons. And look at that beautiful salad bowl!

Aisle 2: Good afternoon Mam, can I introduce you to this efficient and modern 2 piece drawer? And how about a rattan basket that will look good at every room in your house?
Mom: Me, hold on! Check out this cute drawer. Oh, the rattan basket is nice too, don't you think?

After 30 minutes and 2 aisles later, I got all fidgety and decided to wander around the place myself. As always is the case, I gravitated toward my favorite aisle, the snack aisle.
Hmm, snacks. Let's see, let's have some Chitato potato chips. What flavors should I have? Why don't we just grab one each peyo? Great idea self! BBQ, Roasted Chicken, Cheese, and Plain. Nyum.

What else, what else? Well hello Chiki! Only chocolate flavor but that will do. And oh, Chic-Choc Chocolate Biscuit Balls, heavenly! And don't forget, when you're on a break, you need Kit Kat! Let's grab several of those since I'm on a break a lot of times. And my oh my, they have Beng-Beng Peanut Butter! Slurpilicious!

The pile of snacks on my hands went higher and higher and it became harder for me to see my surroundings. So, I decided that I had enough of snacks to last for a week and started to look for my mom's grocery cart. That's called self-control people!

While I was on my way, I overheard a little discussion between a mother and her 6-year-old little boy.
Kiddo: Mom, can I have Jet-Z please? I want the plastic toy inside of it! Please, mommy, please?
Mom: No kiddo, you'll get sore throat. Plus, you'll get bored with the toys and leave it scattered all over the house.
Kiddo: Mom, how about this Panda Bear cookies? Can I have this, my dear Mommy?
Mom: No kiddo, no snacks for now, it's raining season and I don't want you to get sick.
Kiddo: *pouting* Mommmyyyyyyyyyy .....

As I walked passed the mother and the boy, the boy looked at me and my pile of treasures longingly. I pretended that I wasn't aware of the vehement envious stare while I inadvertently released a small snicker.
Poor sucker, you'll need to wait at least 10 years before you can have your own unprohibited snack binge.

As soon as I realized that I was schadenfreude*-ing over the misery of a little boy, I felt very bad.
Maybe I'm not ready for motherhood as yet.

This is not such a bad conclusion since I'm in no way near of being a mother. First, I need to find a boyfriend, and manage to fool him to marry me. I also need to convince my mother of the ridiculousness of a big wedding. Not to mention finding the perfect house equipped with a large TV and awesome sounding speakers. A big and beautiful book and CD cabinet is a must. And last but not least, a fast computer with TeraBytes storage capacity and high speed internet. What was I talking about again? Oh yeah, motherhood and babies.

I finally found my mother held captured at the stationary aisle. I put all of my snacks inside the cart and sat and waited. Another 45 minutes have passed, and I started to get hungry. It's one o'clock pm.
Me: Mom, could you please hurry up? I'm hungry...
Mom: But I've only visited a few aisles.
Me: Well mom, if you had spent less time at each aisle, we would have visited every inch of this building by now.
Mom: Just a minute Me, I need to buy some oatmeal, frying oil, bread, milk, shampoo, .... *the list goes on*
Me: Oh my gosh, Mommyyyyyyyyyy .... *pouting*

That's when it dawned on me. Not only that I'm not ready for a motherhood, I'm still, at present, acting like a 6 years old myself.

Well done self. Well done.


Note:
*Schadenfreude: enjoyment obtained from the troubles of others.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Comments from the chat:

Vion: "Hmm, snacks. Let's see, let's have some Chitato potato chips. What flavors should I have? Why don't we just grab one each peyo? Great idea self! BBQ, Roasted Chicken, Cheese, and Plain. Nyum."

--> Gosh, pey ....I thought ur still on a diet


Peyo: :D


Vion: "The pile of snacks on my hands went higher and higher and it became harder for me to see my surroundings"

--> such an exaggeration, ckckckck


Peyo: (translated)Seriously, I didn't bring a cart, so I had them all with my hands, hahahaa


Vion: "...manage to fool him to marry me" --> good wording to define marriage


Peyo: thanks

Anonymous said...

hauhahhaaa...

Anonymous said...

I'm at that phase where I actually have to beg my parents to stop shopping, instead of the opposite.

I was like, tapping on my watch and going, "Anything else? Hurry up I'm fungry."

Sometimes I even have to text message my dad and ask where he at or when will he be home, it's just too embarassing.

I probably shouldn't but I can't help myself. Help!

peyo said...

Therry, ditto. Who's the adult, really?

Actually, I really don't mind if my mother is to shop more often, afterall, it's time for her to enjoy herself.

However, I have two things that make me groan every time she's in the mood of shopping.

First, she's a window shopper to the core. It takes her a terribly long time to finally put the damn thing to the shopping basket.

Second, she never, I repeat, NEVER, throws away stuff. There are things that are older than myself lying around in the house. Last thing I want is more useless stuff, regardless, how well stored and hidden they are, in the house.

Post a Comment