Who am I?

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Hasn't everyone asked this question at some point in their lives?

Who am I? Where is my place in this world? What is the purpose of my life?

Well, thankfully for my sisters and I, we have our beloved mother who seems to know exactly who we are. In fact, she knows us very well, that she can give a succinct yet thorough description of each of us to any strangers with willing ears.

Meeting a client at a wedding?
The little one? Oh, she's studying abroad at states now. She majors in animation. She never had any formal study at art before, but she managed to get into a Top 10 art school in U.S. What can I say, she loves to draw since she was a kid.

Meeting an old friend at a funeral?
Well, my oldest daughter is in the states now. She received her PhD from Princeton. Now she's taking a postdoc at Harvard, Boston. Yes, she's very smart. She's always been no.1 at school since kindergarten.

Meeting a distant relative at a family gathering?
Oh, hi, this is my second daughter (pointing at me). She used to study at Madison. After she graduated, she worked for 2 years in Minneapolis. She went back last year to accompany us.

So it goes, my mom has an elevator pitch for each one of her children. Mine is the most boring one sadly. Usually the following conversation follows:
Stranger: Madison, Minneapolis? Where are those?
Me: They're near Chicago.
Stranger: Ahhh, Chicago, yes, yes. So, why did you go back? Isn't it nicer there?
Me: Ha... Ha... Ha... *awkward* Actually, no, I think both US and Indonesia are nice.
Mom: Well, my other children are in the states now, so she went back to be with us.
Stranger: Ah, yes, yes, of course.

Regardless where the direction of the conversation goes, my mom already has answers ready for any questions thrown to her. Any questions but one.
So, how many of your daughters have gotten married?

Bam! You can see her face expression changes from a glowing pride to a worried concern.
None yet.

Short with no explanation. So atypical of her. This translates to a code yellow for me.

Alert peyo, the forbidden topic has been touched and discussed. Be careful with what you say and do.

As if this isn't already bad enough, some of these strangers manage to hit my mom's central nerves when they start to takeover the bragging business.
Ah, I see. All of my children have gotten married. The last one got married 3 months ago. I'm so relieved now, no more burden. Now I can just relax and play with my grandchildren.

Tongue tied, my mom usually manages to mumble some insincere reply.
Ah yes... that's very nice... Congratulations.

When this happens, it only translates to one thing for me.

CODE RED ALERT! CODE RED ALERT! Stay away from the dangerous object. Keep a safe distance until danger has subsided. This may take 3-7 days, depending on the level of radiation. Do not attempt to trigger anything that may cause unwanted reaction and extended regrets.


So anyway, it seems that, no matter who you are, through the lens of Chinese Indonesian community, the only thing that matters is your marriage status.

If you're married, you're a worthy human being. If you're still single, well Missy, you're nothing but a worthless junk.

Such is the hard case of life.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So ... r u getting married soon?

:p

Anonymous said...

from the first phrase until the last one... the same topic conversations, the similar answers, the same situations, and yes the same facial expression.
daaag..I hate those basa-basi

peyo said...

vion -_-

yun, I supposed in your case, this happened every day eh. God speed yun, God speed :)

Anonymous said...

Who cares what those snippy gossipers say about you - just enjoy your life, marriage is not all that cracked up to be.

Post a Comment